Thursday, October 6, 2011

London, Day 4

The last day--well, half day--in London wasn't all that eventful. I woke up at 9, finished packing, and we headed to the tube. Before boarding the tube, Allison and I stopped to grab lunch to go at Burger King.

We got to the airport and checked in, which gave Allison enough time to get back for her class that afternoon. One of the weird things their airports do, is that before boarding the plane, everyone gathers in one area to wait, instead of at individual gates like in the States. Once it's time to board, they announce the gate the plane is at, and you walk to your gate and get right on the plane. It's a good thing Allison explained that to me; otherwise I would've been extremely confused--and very worried about missing my flight.

On the plane, my assigned seat was in the aisle, but had a bathroom on the other side of the aisle, and 4 year old boy in the seat next to me. I never try to complain about other peoples' kids since I don't have my own to discipline, but this young boy elbowed me several times in the five minutes that I was sitting next to him. Thankfully, there was an exit row seat near me that was unoccupied, and needed to have someone in it according to law, so the flight attendant asked me to move. Free seat upgrade with unlimited leg room. I was thrilled.

I easily made it through the seven hour flight with two books, as well as the movies Just Go With It, and The Conspirator. Landed in Boston, made it through customs, and got my luggage without any problems. I took the T back to my car, drove home, and made it back safely at about 8:30 pm. Jet lag wasn't a problem, but I don't think I ever fully adjusted to London time.

While I was nervous about such long flights, going through customs, and all the stuff that go with international travel, it ended up being a great trip. Virgin Atlantic was a great airline, and the (very friendly) flight attendants frequently went down the aisles offering snacks and drinks. It also goes without saying how much fun I had seeing Allison, and everyone else, on the trip. Overall, I would have to say that this was probably the most fun weekend I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment