Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Solar System Designer

A few weeks back, I did a pretty good job of keeping the readers informed of my job hunting activities. In total, I went on 10 interviews, and sent my resume and cover letter to what I'm sure is over 200 different companies. Six weeks after my college graduation, I found a job.

I wouldn't exactly call it my dream job, or anywhere near that, but it is a full-time job that pays well enough for me to support myself. And, with today's economy, you really can't beat that. The job I found is as a solar system designer. I design lay-outs for the solar panels that will go on residential and commercial roofs. The tough part is, I'm also having to learn the electrical side of the business on the fly. It quickly reminds me why I wasn't interested in majoring in electrical engineering.

Additionally, I have a 70 mile commute from my temporary housing in New Hampshire to the office. It takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get to the office, and closer to an hour and 40 to get home. That's three hours in the car each day. It's a little rough.

I have applied for an apartment that is 10 miles from the office, and they are currently processing that application. Hopefully I will be able to move in on Saturday, November 5th. I'll be sure to kep you all informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment