Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Day in the Life

A lot of people wonder what life is like when college ends and the grind of the working world takes its place. The days of class for a few hours, with time for naps in between (or homework, if you prefer), going to practice and doing homework at night, and staying up late are now behind me. Here's a sample weekday schedule for me:

7:00 AM: My first alarm goes off. I prefer to gradually wake up, so I promptly turn it off, roll over, and try to go back to sleep.
7:15 AM: My second alarm goes off. I unhappily get out of bed and get ready. To get ready, I shower, shave, get dressed, make my hair look semi-presentable, put my packed lunch in my briefcase, and grab some pop-tarts to eat for breakfast.
7:40 AM: Leave for work.
8:00 AM: Arrive at work. The day starts with checking emails, and if necessary, fixing any emergencies that have come up since I left the night before. You'd be surprised how often this happens. I usually like to start my day with the "brainless" work since I'm not a morning person.
10:00 AM: This is when I usually eat my breakfast. It is also when I dive into some of my harder work for the day.
1:30 PM: I eat my lunch. I like to wait until 1:30/2:00 to eat my lunch because then I don't have to stay at work very long after I'm done eating. I eat at my desk (if we eat at our desk, and are available to handle things that come up, lunch counts as part of our hours for the day), and I check various websites for some mind-clearing entertainment.
3:00 PM: For the last hour of my day, I try to find something easy to do and let the day wind down.
4:00 PM: Leave work. If I need to do laundry, or go to the grocery, I try to make these errands on my way home.
4:25 PM: If I don't have to run any errands, this is when I get home. I always change out my work clothes and put on running clothes, and go for a jog, usually about 2 miles.
5:30 PM: I have completed my run, taken a shower, and changed into sweats. I try to decide on something to eat for dinner while mindlessly watching TV. If the weather is nice, I go outside and read on my balcony.
6:00 PM: Make dinner. I never make anything too complicated (mostly pasta or frozen food), and dinner is usually done being eaten within 45 minutes of me starting to make it. I spend the rest of the evening watching TV, or a movie.
8:30 PM: I get ready for the next day at work. I pack my lunch up (sandwich, chips, string cheese, cookie, bottle of water, banana), and iron my clothes for the next day.
10:30 PM: Bedtime. It usually takes me a while to fall asleep, so I feel like if I get in bed at this time, I will fall asleep shortly after 11:00 and still get my 8 hours of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment