Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Weekend That Was: Easter

For Easter weekend, I was able to fly to Indiana to visit my parents for the first time since January 2nd. Friday night, I went over to Allison's parent's hotel and we did some swimming, and spent a little time in the sauna and steam room before calling it a night.

I had to wake up at 4 am Saturday, and Allison's dad drove me to the airport for my 6:10 am flight. I landed in Chicago just before 9 am eastern time, where both my parents picked me up. This was surprising because my mom is like me: not a morning person. It's about a two hour drive from Midway Airport to my parent's house, and we made it home right around 11 am.

That afternoon, I went to the Notre Dame vs. Providence lacrosse game. ND won easily, 9-1. It wasn't a very entertaining game, but I always enjoy watching lacrosse games in person--especially when the weather is nice, and it was right around 60 degrees and sunny for the game. I even got a bit of sunburn. After the game, we decided to skip out on the extended family Easter--there had been lots of traveling that weekend, and everyone was pretty tired.

In the evening, my family ordered pizza and we watched the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship. Boston College ended up beating Ferris State 4-1, which was a little disappointing since our family was hoping for a sort of local win from Ferris State.

Sunday was Easter. It started off with Easter baskets, and the day before I had to confirm with my mom that we did still get Easter baskets. The last four years, I had lacrosse games of my own on Easter weekend, so it was my first time being home for Easter since 2007. We went to church, and then had a light lunch at Panera.

That evening, my aunt, uncle, and their three kids came over for some ham, and a few other side items. For dessert, my aunt brought over a cake that is shaped like a bunny, which became a tradition in 2002. I was in eighth grade at the time, and someone had cut the entire cake, except for the two pieces that make up the ears. I didn't know the ears weren't cut, so I just plopped an ear onto my plate (it was probably 8" long, and 4" wide at its widest point). The next year, my aunt made an entire bunny cake just for me. My family still brings this up at every get together.

One of the best things about being home was being able to have a yard again. I spent a few hours Saturday, and Sunday, out in the backyard running around with Abby (the dog) and shooting lacrosse balls. Sunday my sister even joined me outside for a game of catch. I just don't get the chance for that type of self-entertainment in my apartment.

Monday morning, I had to wake up at 6:30 am, on my day off, to catch my flight out of Chicago. It's interesting to note that when I wake up for work, I don't roll out of bed until 7:15. I landed in Boston around 12:30, and then spent the rest of the day with Allison.

At the ND lacrosse game.

ND celebrating a goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment