Tuesday, April 17, 2012

That Awkward Age

I'm 24 years old, and hold real world job, with bills to pay. There's rent, a car payment, cable, internet, gas, and electricity, and then food. This means there's a lot of budgeting for entertainment, traveling (gas prices), and buying things that I'd simply like to have because I can't call Mom and Dad, and get them to give me some more money to last until the next pay day. Despite all of this, I'm young, and not really tied down--the biggest financial commitment I have is the car payment that I'm tied to until 2016.

I work 8 AM-4 PM everyday, at a small company. The people that I work with are all in their late 30s/early 40s, are married, have kids, and own a home. I have an entirely different lifestyle from my "peers;" the people that I'm around on a daily basis. I feel more like a college student, and I feel like sometimes  (hopefully they do this on accident) I am treated like the kid in the office.

On the other hand, I have a lot more responsibility than the average college student. I can't go out late on weeknights because I have to wake up early every day of the week, and I no longer have breaks during the day where I can nap. I do have friends who are in the same position as me (but quite a few of them are getting married or engaged), but the people I talk to most either fall into the 'working and have kids' category, or the 'college student' category.

It almost feels like I'm being torn between two worlds. During the week, I am a responsible adult with a job and support myself, but on weekends I revert back to a college student. It really is an awkward age.

1 comment:

  1. 24 is an awkward age.... and I hate to say it but it just continues to get more awkward. You loose touch with certain friends, get used to making new friends (not as easy outside of the sandbox), deal with family member issues and death, get laid off from work, get your heart broken and learn to be single again.... sounds really dark... but there are things that get better with age - wine, cheese - and yes - sex. Eventually life levels out and although the issues that happen when you're older are more monumental and feel to weigh on you even greater, there is still fun to be had. Wishing you many happy years ahead

    ReplyDelete