Monday, July 18, 2011

The Toy I Never Had

My parents never got me this.
I remember a few years ago, my mom once asked me if there was any toy from my childhood that I remembered wanting, but never got. In my childhood, it felt like I heard "no" from my parents all the time (I didn't), but once I was older, apparently I had accumulated all the major stuff that I wanted. The only toy I could think of that I really wanted but never got, was one of those toy Jeeps that kids can drive around in. Today they make them in Escalades, Mustangs, and many other cars, but when I was five, they made them in Jeep Wranglers. Just look at the joy on that kid's face.

The two girls who lived next door to me, Becca and Missy, had one and I was insanely jealous. They could drive through the grass, through some parts of the sandbox, and up and down the street. All without exuding energy that riding a bike does. Sometimes they let me drive it. Well, they either let me, or I "borrowed it without asking."  Like most boys, I loved cars and couldn't wait until I got my driver's license. I wanted it so bad in fact, that sometimes when I went to visit my grandma, she would let me drive her riding mower around in the yard. Just to clarify, I never mowed the grass, I just drove it around the yard.

I wish I could've had that toy Jeep, but life goes on. Actually, up until about a month ago I did own a Jeep. I had a Grand Cherokee, but unfortunately, the engine fried and I had to donate it. Sometimes I wonder if my extensive love for Jeep (still my favorite vehicle), doesn't stem back to my childhood and wanting that toy.

Don't worry, the story of my childhood dream toy has a happy ending. After I told my mom that I wanted that toy Jeep, she promised that when I had kids she would buy one for them. Do you think a full grown adult would fit in it? I still want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment