Monday, July 18, 2011

What a Weekend

So, I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was great. Ever notice, though, that the more fun you have during the weekend, the harder it is to get back to the grind on Monday morning? My morning wasn't even that hard, I simply had a class visit to Georges Island, which one of Boston's harbor islands. Yet it was still nearly impossible to get out of bed at 7:40 this morning.

So let's start off my weekend recap with Friday night; it was pretty quiet. I don't even remember what I had for dinner, but I know I capped the night off with getting The Dilemma at the Redbox. Pretty funny movie.

Saturday is when the fun started. I went with Allison to her friend's lake house in Natick, celebrating his 21st birthday. We got there and had some lunch, followed by going out on the boat and doing some tubing. After an hour or so, being tired from holding on to the tube, sitting on the boat and watching others tube became more fun than actually tubing. After a short break, we went back out on the boat, but this time we brought a wake board along. The wake boarding was fun, but there was like 10 or so people, none of us had actually wake boarded before, so each person only got like 5 or 6 tries at it before moving on to the next turn. It took me a while to stand up on the board. "Knees to your chest, arms straight, butt down," was the only coaching anyone got. I stood up for a little bit on the 4th or so try, but was quickly down in the water. The next attempt I got up, and stayed up for quite a while. Before long, I was trying to get fancy and ended up going down on that before passing the board on to the next person. The thing that really surprised me about wake boarding is how hard it is to hold on to the tow rope. I kept thinking that any time my momentum would catch up to the boat and holding on would be easy. No such luck. As of today, my chest and arms are quite sore from holding on to that rope. That night we rented Hall Pass from Redbox, which was funny too.

Sunday I went down to Nantasket Beach in Hull, MA with Allison and her roommate Laura. We got lucky and sneaked into one of the last spots in the $7 parking lot and avoided paying $20 to park. Hard to not be pumped about that. The water was freezing cold, of course, but on a 92 degree day, it felt really good to jump in and cool off every hour or so.

  
Panorama of Nantasket Beach

That night we got a slice of pizza at Sal's and then went to the theater to see Bad Teacher. Funny how when you have no air conditioner in the summer, going to the movie theater to sit in the cool air for a couple of hours sounds really good.

This morning my water weekend continued. My Boston: the City and the Sea class, which I talked about in my first post, took the ferry to Georges Island for a site visit. It was cool to see the city skyline from the east, which is pretty hard to do for Boston. The day was cloudy, but thankfully it didn't rain. It was probably better that the clouds were out, since I got plenty sunburned on Saturday and Sunday; plus sunshine would've made it too hot. The island has a fort from the Revolutionary War period, so it was fun to explore some of the extremely dark and creepy tunnels. My friend Casey kept me company on the exploration. If it weren't for her, I probably would've chickened out on going down some of the fort's corridors. Here's another panoramic shot I took. If you can't tell, I recently downloaded a panorama app for my iPhone.

View from the Georges Island Pier

No comments:

Post a Comment