Monday, March 19, 2012

Question 3: Describe Your Relationship With Your Parents

My parents and I get along very well. I'm sure it helps that my parents are still married and I have rarely ever even seen them argue. We don't talk daily, sometimes we don't even talk weekly, but we stay close. Living 900 miles away from them, we also don't see each other much. A lot of our communication is actually done through text messaging and emails. It's difficult for outsiders to understand how we still keep a close relationship with each other.

My family is not very emotional, and we prefer it that way. We show affection though picking on each other, typically in the use of sarcasm. It fits in nicely with our dry sense of humor. We're able to pick on each other because we show love through actions instead of words. When I was little, I knew that I was loved and cared about, and I still do, even if it isn't expressed verbally. When things get tough, we are all always there for each other, and to me, that means infinitely more than any words ever could.

When I was growing up, they were strict, yet kind, and gave me the responsibility to make my own choices. They always made it clear where the boundaries were, and it was also clear that I would be in trouble if I stepped over a boundary. However, I did have a lot of freedom within those boundaries. When I did mess up, they would give me support, but they always made sure that I still felt the consequences of my actions.

I was raised in the church, and Christian principles were a big part of my upbringing. They taught me how to be polite and respectful, and that I would always have to work hard to achieve the things I wanted to. These principles still guide my life and decisions, and I consider myself blessed that I was introduced to faith at a young age.

If it weren't for my parents, and seeing them apply these principles in their own lives, there's no way I would have achieved what I have in life.

So, Mom and Dad, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment