Thursday, August 11, 2011

On the Job Hunt

I was starting to think that after my graduation next Sunday, my degree was just going to be a piece of paper on the wall for me to stare at while I didn't have a job. Just when I was starting to give up hope on ever finding employment after my graduation, things are starting to look better. It all started Monday morning, when I received an e-mail from someone at a design company in Boston, that specializes in office interior renovations.  They called me yesterday, and we talked on the phone for about 10 minutes. They seemed pretty excited about my qualifications, and I have an interview with them at 9 AM tomorrow. I guess I will have to load up on caffeine to make myself appear like more of a morning person. Later today, while having lunch at Panera, I received an email from a full service architecture firm in Portland, Maine. My interview should be sometime early next week.

My job hunt process had been pretty frustrating so far. I was using a couple of job posting websites to look for stuff, but didn't really find anything. Most of my searching was coming from a website called Architects USA. You can search for architects by states, and city region, so I was clicking on links their and blindly sending my resume to architecture firms. I sent resumes to Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Texas. I have easily sent out over 100 resumes. Architects USA lead me to the firm in Maine.

Strangely enough, I found the office in Boston through my school's career website. Everyone knocks on how much that website sucks, but there are still some job postings on their, and usually they have alumni connections to Wentworth, which always helps.

Needless to say, I'm now pretty excited about the upcoming opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment