Thursday, August 11, 2011

Reflections on College: Junior Year

Documenting a site for class in 2009.
Once again, I started off my junior year as an orientation leader. The second year, I did much better. I was a much more relaxed leader, and the dynamic of the group was a lot better. We actually got along with each other.

I spent a lot of the fall semester looking for a Co-op that was required for the spring semester. I did a lot of searching on Google, but in October, one of my suitemate's girlfriends recommended a firm that she had worked at over the summer, Whitlock Architects. I sent my resume and portfolio, and was called in for an interview in the next few days. To make the fall semester even worse, I went through a break up. It only ended up lasting 5 months, but it was still pretty rough.

To say that this was a small firm, was a bit of an understatement. The firm consisted of the owner, and the intern that he kept on staff. I did get offered a job, which paid $12.00/hr, that I took and worked the 35 hours/week that he needed me. This was pretty nice since it gave me time to get to lacrosse practice on time. He was also flexible to let me leave when I needed to for away games.
Game vs. Becker in 2010.
One of the exciting parts of the 2010 lacrosse season was our team getting nice, new Nike uniforms. While we looked good on paper, we finished the year with a 5-9 record, finishing one spot away from making the play-offs. Another disappointing season. This also marked the third year in a row that I started with two new attackman that hadn't started with me the previous season.

That spring I also signed up to do an Alternative Spring Break in New Orleans. I'd never been to the city, and I had a blast. During the day, our group worked to repaint a house that had been damaged by Hurricane Katrina in the fall of 2005. At night, we went out to explore the city, and it was a great learning experience.

That summer, I started publishing articles for BroBible, and made a little bit of cash doing that. It also marked the first summer of full-time classes. All juniors and senior at my school have to take a full course load to make up for the semester of Co-op when we weren't taking any classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment