Monday, August 15, 2011

Reflections on College: Senior Year

My brother, sister, and me on Christmas Eve.
Well, with just two weeks of summer between the summer semester and fall semester, senior year started all too quickly. I picked up my Co-op from the spring, again working at Whitlock Architects. The job was great, and my boss was awesome, but it turned out to be a pretty rough semester. In October, my girlfriend of three years broke up with me, and had a new boyfriend 18 days later. Pretty rough stuff, right? Things would get better though.

That fall, I also spent a day volunteering at the Head of the Charles Regatta. Brooks Brothers was a fantastic sponsor, and all the volunteers walked away with a free jacket and hat. (For those of you who are avid readers, file this under the category of "foreshadowing.")

Game vs. Gordon College.
The spring semester came, and it was back to class. And, back to lacrosse. Believe it or not, my senior season was the first time in my career (including high school) that I wasn't starting a game. I ended up averaging a quarter and a half to two quarters of playing time per game. On paper, our team looked fantastic. It appeared to be the most stacked our roster had ever been. Unfortunately, that's not how the cards fell, and we finished the year with a record of 3-10. That meant that the record for my class was 21-34. Not exactly the legacy anyone wants to leave behind, but there is encouragement when you look past the numbers. When I came in as a freshman, the team was extremely unorganized: there was next to no discipline, and we basically functioned as a glorified club team. My senior year, conditioning and attendance was taken much more seriously, and the team really became an organized group. Over the summer, the athletic department hired a new head coach, and the future looks great for Wentworth lacrosse.

That spring semester, I also met a new girl. Turns out, she is a coxswain on the BU men's crew team, and was at Head of the Charles in the fall. Foreshadowing fulfilled. Amazing how meeting someone new can change your perspective on things. While the rest of life was getting serious, there was something added that was fresh and fun. A lot of those adventures can be read about in previous posts.

If you think senioritis is bad in high school, just wait until college. Especially, if you're last college semester is in the summer. It seemed like everyone had it, myself included. It's a bit strange, too, because senior year is the year that everything gets real. That year, for the first time, I moved into an off-campus apartment. I also spent a lot of time sending out resumes and searching job postings.

With graduation on Sunday, it's actually kind of hard to really reflect on my senior year. It still seems all too fresh. The summer grades haven't even been released yet, and won't be released until Thursday morning. Thursday is also the day that my family is coming in to Boston to celebrate. While the last four years of college were an absolute blast, I am looking forward to the next chapter of my life.

Hopefully that will include a job offer from the company that I interviewed at on Friday. If not, hopefully from the firm I'm interviewing at in Maine early next week. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment